Who can apply?
Those who need a letter of admission from the CSL Division for visa application need to be full-time. Students taking a course load of 15hours per week are considered full-time. The CSL Division will issue a letter of admission to those who intend to study Chinese full time for visa application and visa extension.
Part-time students take classes six hours a week. The 6-hour class is the core Chinese language class. The CSL Division does not issue a letter of admission to part-time students and they need to take care of visa-related issues by themselves. Part-time students can elect courses from culture courses and pay only for the course elected.
1. Application form: Please download an application form from the homepage, fill it in and email or fax the filled application form to the CSL Division.
2. Proof of financial situation: Please turn in a proof of savings of at least 2500 USD (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country). Continuing students are exempted.
3. Photocopy of your passport (and/or your ARC): If you are not in Taiwan, please turn in a photocopy of your passport. If you are already in Taiwan and have an ARC, please turn in a photocopy of your ARC.
4. A photocopy of the diploma or the highest degree you received.
1. Those who miss more than 1/5 of the class hours will not receive the certificate for that term.
2. Attendance is imperative for successful completion of language courses. The missed classes will not be made up for students’ being late or absent from the class. It is the student's responsibility to find out from classmates or the instructor the course content and assignment.
3. If a student has to miss a class, he/she should notify the administrative staff of the Language Center at least one hour before the scheduled time. In the event of illness, the student should submit a medical report from a medical organization as a proof. A make-up class will be scheduled after the acceptance of the medical report. The missed classes will not be made up for students’ leave of absence for personal reasons.
4. Students who are unavoidably absent for more than 3 days because of illness or emergencies should submit related documents as a proof. A make-up class will be scheduled after the acceptance of the document.
5.Students will not be allowed to register for the next term if they
● are absent for 36 hours a term (including leaves of absence; 36 hours are 1/5 of the total class hours of a term).
● do not get 60 points for one of the courses taken.
● behave themselves so that other classmates are disturbed.
6.Students will be expelled if they
● conduct behavior that will disgrace the honor of the University, e.g. theft, fighting, alcohol and drug abuse, etc.
● commit vandalism.
● work illegally in Taiwan
● misbehavior as stated in the Rules of the University.
1. Students will be refunded in full if
a. the classes for which the students register are closed due to insufficient enrollment,
b. the students need to go back to their own countries for their immediate family, decide not to apply for an extension (see Remark 1) and the class has started for less than two weeks.
c. the students need to go back to their own countries because of heavy sickness or injury and the class has started for less than two weeks.
d. the students cannot receive a visa or extend their visas and decide not to come back to learn Chinese in three months.
2. If students request a refund for reasons not listed above, according to the Ministry of Education, the refund policy is as follows:
a. the students get a 70% refund before the class starts
b. the students get 50% refund if the class has started but has not lasted for more than 1/3 of the total class hours of a term.
c. no refund is possible if the class has lasted for more than 1/3 of the total class hours of a term.
1. For the second situation listed in (1b) above, the students can apply for their tuition paid to be carried over to the next term. This is referred to as an extension.
2. If the CSL students lose their student status for any reason, the University will immediately report the status change of the students to the National Police Agency, Ministry of Interior, the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Police Department of Chiayi City and Ministry of Education.