The law stipulates that the minimal course load is 15 hours per week for international students who come to Taiwan to learn Chinese.


   When you receive admission to the Division of Chinese as Second Language, National Chiayi University, please go to the ROC (Taiwan) Embassy or representative office in your country and apply for a tourist visa. Please apply for an extendable visa, which grants a 60/90-day stay in Taiwan, and if necessary can be extended to a 180-day stay. Please note that before the 60-day stay expires, you need to apply for an extension from the Headquarters of Chiayi Police Station. Please also note that a visa upon arrival and non-extendable visas are not appropriate for those who come to Taiwan to learn Chinese.