NCYU does not offer financial aids to CSL students. However, the Ministry of Education offers
financial aids specifically for students who come to Taiwan to learn Chinese. The regulations are as below:
Qualification for application:
- 1. Students of non-Republic of China nationality.
- 2. 3-month study of Chinese at NCYU with classes of 10 hours per week and with an average
grade of 85 or above from the last term.
- 3. Will continue at NCYU for at least six months. And no bad record.
- 4. No absence of more than 10 hours from the last term.
- 5.Cannot apply if the applicant has received scholarships from the ROC government
Materials to submit:
- 1. Two letters of recommendation from Chinese teachers
- 2. Study plan
- 3. Two pieces of written Chinese work (assignments, compositions, etc)
- 4. A transcript from your CSL program
- Qualified applicants must turn in all the required materials before the deadline, which will be announced.
- Qualified applicants need to pass an examination, which consists of a written test and an oral test.
The examination has three levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. Applicants take the examination
of the level that matches their proficiency.
- The grades at the CSL program: 30%
- Written work: 10%
- Examination: 60%
Each student awarded financial aids receives a stipend of 10,000 NTD every month.
Financial aids are awarded twice a year. Awarded financial aids, each student receives
a stipend for six months. The first award span is from January 1st to June 30th, every
year. The second award span is from July 1st to December 31st, every year. Each
student is eligible for financial aids twice.
- The quota depends on the budget of Ministry of Education.
- It will be distributed to different proficiency levels propotionally to the number of students in each class.
- The number of students of the same nationality awarded financial aids cannot exceed
one fifth of the number of the total students awarded.
Suspension or cancellation of funding:
- Suspension: During the period of the funding, if a student is absent for 6 hours within a month, his funding
for the month will be suspended. If the absences are irresistible, please provide proof.
- Cancellation: The funding will be canceled if the awarded student is absent for more than one sixth of
a term' s time, the average grade is less than 85 points, the student has inappropriate behavior or the student
quits his study of Chinese without a written consent from the CSL program.
- Ministry of Education regulates all the issues regarding the funding. Please
pay attention to the announcement of Ministry. For availability of other funding /
scholarship, please contact the nearest Taiwan representative office in your country or
contact the .Ministry of Education in Taipei directly.